As the majority of our class are now at home, we have decided to provide you with some extra links and guidance to make ‘home learning’ a little easier for you.
I found this video clip on my facebook feed and thought that it really puts things into perspective.
Some useful youtube channels you could use at home are:
- Art for Kids Hub https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtforKidsHub
- Jack Hartmann https://www.youtube.com/user/JackHartmann
- Cosmic Kids Yoga https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- Numberjacks https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWKuiktSh-V3E4ysPU0VC3Q
- Alphablocks https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qs3c0ehDvZkbiEbOj6Drg
- Mr Thorne Does Phonics https://www.youtube.com/user/breakthruchris
- Storyline Online http://www.storylineonline.net
- SciShow Kids https://www.youtube.com/user/scishowkids
- The Learning Station https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLearningStation
There are virtual tours you can access online, eg zoos, museums, Sydney Opera House…
If you want to help your child academically, we suggest that you revise what we have been teaching in the classroom this term. We don’t expect you to teach new concepts. Below is a summary of the concepts that we have been focusing on this term.
- Skip counting by 2, 5 and 10
- Counting forwards and backwards from any number between 0 and 100
- Simple addition and subtraction to 20 using counters & number lines
- Reading the time to the hour
- Partners to 10 ( numbers that you add together that equal 10)
- Cooking – measuring
- Identify single sounds
- Write simple sentences
- Write and read CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant. E.g cat dog peg mug …)
- Read stories to your child and ask them questions about the story.
- Practise writing letters and numbers.
- Encourage your child to write everyday (a shopping list, labels, a letter, make a poster, write a diary entry, creative writing….)
- Follow a recipe
- This term we have been looking at ‘Family’. You could discuss and research your family tree.
- Talk to your child about how family has changed over time. What was family life like when you were a child or your child’s grandparents were children.
- What chores/jobs were done and how these have changed over time.
- Bug Club https://www.activelearnprimary.com.au/login?c=0
- Mathletics https://www.mathletics.com/au/
- Teach Your Monster to Read https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/
- ABCYa https://www.abcya.com/
- What floats, what sinks? Make predictions & test
- Light & dark
- Sounds – loud/soft, sounds around the home