As you are aware, advice on Covid-19 prevention and response is being updated daily. We are receiving regular questions and advice from concerned parents. Whilst I understand the concerns, as a public school we follow all advice provided by the Health Department and from the Department of Education. The following strategies have been implemented:
- Teacher have provided handwashing procedures instruction, and will continue to give reminders.
- The following handwashing Protocols are in place.
- Creating hand washing sessions for their class.
- ensure students have washed their hands after going to the toilet
- Students to drink from water bottles and not the drink fountains.
- What we cannot do, what I think is impossible to do, is to enforce the social-distancing….the classrooms are simply not large enough.
As you may be aware, the Australian Government has announced that all organised, non-essential work-place environments and services are to be closed. The announcement was very clear this does not apply to schools and that there is no need for school closures.
It does however include non-essential school activities such as school balls, assemblies, concerts, etc.
We have identified the following events that must be rescheduled or cancelled in an effort to adhere to and social distancing policy.
- Parent lunch and assembly for Harmony Day on Friday. In discussions with the P & C who have cancelled lunch orders for families from the canteen. If you require lunch the orders may be ordered from the restricted
- Assemblies for term 1
- Girls sport carnival has been cancelled
- Summer Lightning Carnival has been cancelle1
- Protective Behaviours Workshop by Genevieve Dicks cancelled
- ANZAC Day Ceremony
- Yr 6 Cockburn ANZAC parade
- Colour Fun Run
The following are additional steps that have been taken effective immediately:
- All outside services, therapy providers, and parent helpers are cancelled. If you wish to continue therapy, we ask that you take your child to the offices of the therapy providers or have the therapy providers provide these supports in the home environment.
- We ask that you please keep your child home if they are unwell.
- We are asking for donations. As you know there is a shortage of hygiene products (soap, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, etc). If you have any spare products can you please donate them to your child’s classroom teacher.
We have some families who have concerns about their children who are immuno-compromised or have family members with health concerns. Some families have chosen to keep their children at home. This is at the discretion of families. Please know that we support your decision (whatever it may be)and fully understand the pressure that these decisions have had on you and your family. If I can help in anyway, please let me know. If an emergency arises, please know that I am here to support you in any way I can.
In conclusion, thank you for your patience, understanding, support and kindness you have shown to the staff and to each other. We will get through this together.
John A. Schad, M.Ed.,BCBA